Thursday 15 September 2011

APOCALYPSE IS COMING

The Great Day of His Wrath, c. 1853.

The Tate Britain will be immanently launching an exhibition of a selection works of J O H N  - M A R T I N who created pieces of awe inspiring chaos that can be best described as cinematic. Martin is often classified as a Romantic painter, but to me his works are similar to those adorning fantasy, science fiction book jackets and Heavy Metal  Album Covers by the likes of artists like M I C H A E L - W H E L A N. I feel this exhibition is particularly relevant with the sentiments currently abound with the economic depression hanging over our heads as well as the whole 2012 thing (which to be honest is probably on a par with the meltdown that was expected with the year 2000)...well at least I hope so.

I'm hoping that all 80 works that have been on show at the Laing gallery in Newcastle are going on display it will be great to see these works in the flesh as it were to truly appreciate their opressive proportions. Works are on display at the Tate Britain from 21 September 2011 – 15 January 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment